Wednesday 25 July 2012

Blog on Reading DernyFest - Eleanor Jones

At the end of the Dudley GP, Jace (super DS/mechanic/pit bitch) suggested I ride the Reading GP in preparation for the Derny Championships. Brilliant idea considering I have never raced behind a derny before!

SO Saturday saw me driving sedately (as if!) down to Reading, ready for a race or 2. Jace and Jamie were there competing in the National Endurance League, and I was joined by teammate Jo Tindley, making her comeback this season J We quickly claimed our spot, got the bikes and wheels ready and had a bit of a catch up chat.

There was a bit of a delay at the start – the organizers had brought the start forward by an hour, but half the field hadn’t got the news – so it felt like ages before we actually started warming up. I was coming off a heavier week for me (read: I actually trained this week, my legs felt like crap) and I could feel it as soon as I jumped on the turbo. Today was going to hurt!

After an age waiting for the sprinters, we finally got our heats and pacers sorted out. I was drawn in the first heat, along with the experienced Jan Birkmyre, Cassie Gledhill, Corrinne Hall and someone else! I definitely reckon Jo got the easier heat….

Anyway, I drew 1st position and me and pacer Pip (thank you Pip!) set off on the front. For the first 14 or so of 20 laps. First mistake! The rest of the field had tucked in and watched me working on the front and then came past with seemingly no effort. We tried to lift the pace but my legs weren’t in it and we let them go. Fortunately the lovely Pip kept me in the race and I qualified for the final in 4th place, not bad for a first attempt!

Els in action behind her pacer
Jo was up next and qualified easily for the final. In her heat were Katie Archibald (this girl is going places! Awesome breakaway partner from Dudley GP), Harriet Owen and 2 Welwyn Wheelers girls.
Jo in action in the final
Several hours later (did I mention there were sprinters there?!) we lined up for the final. This time we had decided to sit at the back and keep out of trouble which was a great plan. But again, when the attack went, my legs just couldn’t cope with the increase in pace. No biggy, still a massive learning curve and I’ll be rested for Herne Hill.

Corrinne and Harriet were the 2 riders lifting the pace and quickly got off the front, followed by Jo and Jan Birkmyre. Unfortunately with 4 to go Jo’s derny decided to have a mechanical and with that went her 3rd place. L

Massive thanks to Jace and Jamie again for their help.

No comments:

Post a Comment